The Fountains - Sophia, Blanche and Rosamund
In 1864 Rev Hervey Wilmot Sitwell paid for a piped water supply to Horsley village. This came to 3 fountains, the largest Sophia, was placed near the Walters family's garden (now the Village Green). Blanche was at the top of French Lane and Rosamund was placed on the triangle near the Coach and Horses
Before 1902 - Children standing by Sophia looking towards French Lane
Taken before 1908 this picture shows Sophia with a stand-pipe pump beside her.
Mrs Radley is the lady drawing water.
Sophia - unknown artist
Views of some notable buildings on Church Street. These include Fountain House, The Ship Inn (now Ship Farm), the Post Office which was located at 86 Church Street and then at 43 Church Street and the reading Rooms. Photos of locals include the landlords of The Ship and The Coach and Horses.
43 Church Street before the house and post office was built
Accommodation and Post Office at 43 Church Street
Horsley Church of England Primary School
The school was built in 1828 and enlarged in 1874. The Trust Deed states that all children are to attend Church on Sunday, and the Master and Mistress are to be full members of the Church of England, the religious teaching to be in accordance with the National Society's rules.
New outbuildings cost £102 5s 8d in 1904. Miss Johnson was appointed supplementary teacher from Heanor in 1906, salary £52 10s 0d and she left in 1911. Gas was installed in 1912 at a cost of £11 13s 8d. A proposal to build a teacher's house in 1923 fell through owing to high estimates. (£715 - £916) but a new floor was put in in 1925. The cost of the School for teachers and upkeep was £266 14s 7d in 1898 which rose to £949 11s 9d by 1927.
Mr and Mrs J Priest are photographed in the garden of their home 'The Nook', 15 Church Street, Horsley. He was Headmaster of Horsley School from 1884 to 1922. Joseph Priest was born in Dudley in 1858 and his wife Henrietta in Pensnett, Staffordshire in 1860. Mr and Mrs Priest both retired in 1922 after 38 years of teaching in Horsley.
The photos show some of the children and teachers from 1902 through to 1922. Many thanks to St Clements Church for giving me access to their archives. These may be viewed on the first Saturday morning of each month and on Monday mornings.
Mr and Mrs Priest
1917 - 1918
Thought to be 1915 - 1918